Shiitake


I bought these Shiitake mushrooms from chinatown the other day and I'm posting this more as a note to self for a couple of reasons. Firstly, unlike Shiitake in grocery stores like wholefoods where they seem to be available all year round they're not always available here in Chinatown and I'm curious if there's some kind of season or cycle involved. So duly noted- available mid April.

The other reason is that it seems relatively easy to get the supplies to grow this fairly expensive commodity yourself both outdoors on an 'innoculated' log and indoors on some kind of sawdust kit. I'm wondering if it might be cool to work this into a terrarium type container indoors with a woodland theme. With the added benefit of course that I could harvest the 'fruit' which is both delicious to eat and nutritionally rich.
Recently:

All Posts: