Oak Rings


Last summer walking through the North woods of Central Park, I came across a fallen oak that had crashed into and damaged the rustic bridge that crosses the stream there. I think there was a big storm the night before. Yesterday I noticed that the bridge had been fixed, and the trunks had been sawn into smaller sections. Conicidentally a couple of nights ago I had come across the work of Bryan Nash Gill who makes prints directly from the cross sections of trees using "relief printing and a laborious rubbing technique". I thought his work was beautiful (more of it here- check out the copper plated bark) and prompted me to take some photos of the cross sections which could be interesting to use as a texture for some graphic work- I'll update when I get around to doing it.




+ OGMedia:In the Woods
Recently:

All Posts: